Thursday, January 6

organized hall closet

i'm determined to get more organized this year!  we've been in the casa for a year & a half now, & i still have boxes that haven't been unpacked & too many organization projects to count...

one of the most irritating undone projects has been our coat closet.  we have real winter here, & for this southern girl, not being able to find your other glove [or either of them!] is tantamount to not being able to find your pants.

when you see this mess, you can easily imagine the chaos that ensues each time i want to leave the house:

[coat closet: before]

we had gotten into the terrible habit of just shoving outerwear into the closet anywhere it would fit to still get the door closed.  the tub at the bottom became a magnet for items that don't even belong in the coat closet.

i went to target & bought an over-the-door shoe organizer, & i scavenged two baskets & some hanging hooks from our basement.  this project literally took about 15 minutes!

[coat closet: after]

[hat baskets]

[coats & scarves]

[scarf hook]

[my rainbow of coats!]

[a *mostly* clear floor]

[a place for everything...]

[...& everything in its place!]

i'd like to spruce it up more, by painting the inside walls a fun color & by adding tags to the baskets.  but for now, at least it's functional!
Photobucket
 

10 comments:

Cherry said...

Visiting from "52 Weeks of Organizing" ... thanks for sharing your project for the week! My coat closet needs what you have done to yours ... thanks for the ideas. I especially liked seeing your baskets on the top shelf and got some ideas from that for my closet. Have fun organizing!

Martha (MM) said...

I'm visiting form the 52 week challenge too. This should be a lot of fun working together! Great job and good luck in the weeks/months to come :-)

danae said...

thanks, cherry & martha! i appreciate the encouragement! we're gonna need it to accomplish this. the new year steam can only last so long. :) let me know when you do your coat closet, too - i'd love to see it!!! good luck organizing...

allysgrandma said...

The closet looks great and the hanging thing over the door....wonderful idea! I love all the ideas to pass on to my daughters who are about as organized as I am ..... poor things!

The Fischer Family said...

Looks great! I am visiting from the challenge! I'm tackling my coat closet this week and I love the idea of the over the door organizer for gloves, etc. So smart!

fulksfam said...

I definitely stole this idea and used an old shoe rack with craft supplies... cleaned/cleared those out and moved it from our spare room (where a friend is living) to our coat closet... all the pockets are almost full! Scarves, hats, gloves, Casey's little jackets, and some spare purses - thanks for the idea!

danae said...

glad you were inspired jess! i imagine the pockets are especially nice for keeping all of casey's small things together!

Becky said...

It's amazing how little time it took you to clean up and organize your closet. I really like the back of the door hanger - clever. I live in So. Cal. so gloves are rarely used, but if we did I'd consider using that! Great ideas and very organized! If you want more organization inspiration, come have a look at my blog and I might be able to help some more!

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.blogspot.com
Organizing Made Fun

Darlene said...

ah. the joy of organization!
great ideas.
- {darlene}
www.fieldstonehilldesign.com

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

that looks great! I love that it only took about 15 minutes. It was so worth the time and money you put into it.
Thanks for linking to my party and adding my button!
Blessings!
Traci