Thursday, September 2

morning routine

this summer's schedule has been pretty erratic [love that word!], so i've not kept a very consistent routine. in danae's world, this is catastrophic. i desperately need routine to keep me on task & to get everything done in my busy week. otherwise, i sleep till 10am, & things slip through the cracks, like working out & cleaning house. as a result, i haven't been to the gym since the spring, & my house is a disaster. but fall is practically here [the weather right now in indiana is definitely like fall in north carolina], & it's time to get back into routine. i've learned that starting the day off right will affect the rest of the day. i once heard this analogy: your day is a large ship guided by a small rudder. that rudder is the first hour of your day, & it sets the pace for the rest of the ship.

so, i've created a fall morning routine that is pretty ambitious. but you know me, i never do anything half-way! i thought i would post it for two reasons: others may benefit from seeing my routine & how i come about it, but mostly, i need accountability! my routines change slightly throughout different seasons of life, but my morning routine always contains the same elements. mainly, i like to make sure to include tasks that make a difference for the rest of the day, help me feel super productive, & need to be done first thing. i also like to do things that minimize effort or time later in the day. for example, i like to exercise in the morning because i then only need to take one shower a day.

danae's morning routine
:10 - wake & stretch
:05 - make bed
:05 - dress for the gym
:05 - put a load in the washer
:05 - pet care [let zorra outside, feed the 3 furballs & the fish]
:05 - snack [banana or apple + water]
:90 - exercise [includes travel time to & from the gym]
:15 - breakfast
:05 - shine the sink
:05 - put load in the dryer
:30 - quiet time
:45 - get ready [shower, dress, etc.]
:05 - brush teeth & gather stuff for the day

so, my morning routine takes me nearly four hours - a sizable chunk of my day. but i get cleaning & laundry done, as well as do several good things for myself: working out, eating breakfast, having quiet time... each of these activities makes a big impact on the rest of my day & on my attitude because i've already been productive!

the most ambitious part of this routine? in order to fit in with the rest of my daily routines, i'd like to get to work by 9am each day. this means getting up at 5am... yikes! not only am i not a morning person, i have always sworn i would never get up regularly before 6am. plus, we're on eastern time here in lafayette [stupid, i know], so the sun doesn't even come up till after 8am in the winter. guess who needs the sun to help wake up? yep, me. so, i've got a lamp next to our bedroom window on a timer. we'll see if it helps. wish me luck!

No comments: