Monday, May 10

new doors

ah, the life of a homeowner... you have grand plans for fun & beautiful improvements, you save your money, & then... something breaks. so, you spend the hard-saved money on something new but not so glamorous. [goodbye master bathroom renovation & backyard fence...]

in the last couple weeks, both the right garage door & the top oven door have broken. this is slightly inconvenient. fortunately, the garage door waited until the nicer spring weather arrived before going kaput, & fortunately, i don't use my oven much!  [not that i don't cook though - i just prefer stovetop cooking.]

issue with the garage door: when the first owners mechanized the doors, they had only one motor installed to lift both doors. not only is that usually not a great idea [in fact, i think it's against the law in indiana - now anyways], but whoever installed it didn't even center the motor between the two doors. instead, the motor was centered on the left door with a long rod extending to the right door to lift it, too.  no surprise then that the torsion spring on the right door broke.

we knew we eventually needed to replace the doors & have another motor added. the old doors were deteriorating, but we figured we still had a couple of years before that became a priority. we had the option of replacing just the torsion spring, but we decided to just take the plunge & do the whole job all at once. we picked out doors that we were pretty sure would look awful with the house right now, BUT will look great once we repaint the house in new colors! actually, it doesn't look as bad as i thought it would.  i think it makes the current colors look nicer, cleaner. still, i can't wait to paint the house!

[before: pic taken by my momma in march]


[before: pic taken by my momma in march]


[after: today]


[after: today]

love it! at least one of my "non glamorous" home repairs turned out to be fun & beautiful after all!

alas, the oven door can't be repaired, so now i get to spend my afternoon on the phone with customer service trying to compensation for manufacturer defect...  ah, the life of a homeowner!

2 comments:

GlowinGirl said...

I'm glad you've decided to go for your own blog! I hope you enjoy it. Mine has taken a life of it's own, and I'm still trying to decide how I feel about that.

Your garage doors look beautiful! I know what you mean about spending money on something not-so-fun. I hate it when that happens. I cracked my glass stovetop. It still works, so I've been dealing with it just because I don't feel like spending the money on it. ;)

Elaine said...

I love your new garage doors! At least with them, you knew they had to be replace eventually and you were able to replace them with what you liked better. The oven door is a bummer because that should not have happened so soon. I hope you can get the mfr to take care of it.